Friday, May 18, 2012

Patchwork



I discovered a match made in heaven last night. No, I'm not talking about a new pair of shoes. I am, rather, talking about meeting a podiatrist AND physio rolled into one! This was extra awesome, as I didn't know whether my knee problem stems from a shoe issue (for podiatry) or a muscle issue (for physio). So why not see two for the price of one? Awesome!
So I walked away with not only some strengthening exercises, but also some fixed up shoes. I think the best part was that - when I asked if I needed new shoes - he replied "let's work on fixing up this pair first." Even more awesome! They may *look* like the same innocuous pair of runners on the outside...but inside there is some pretty cool patchwork going on with the aim to fix up my running form.
That's the happy news.

On the unhappy news. I went back to running again today. Great because, hey! I'm running. Bad because - as predicted from my physio/podiatrist buddy - I felt my knee flare up after the 5k mark. At about 5.34km into the run, to be precise. Boo! I was crossing my fingers for a quick fix!
The patched up shoes took a bit of getting used to. The first 5k had me reacquainting myself with my right hamstring. Heelllllooo right hammy! I haven't felt from you in far too long.
Why my right hammy? Because I now have an extra insole (courtesy of my retired runners) inside my right shoe to even out my gait. Who woulda thought my right leg is shorter than the left? I certainly never measured!
But at 5.34km my left knee reminded me why I was visiting a knee doctor in the first place. I was under instructions to mark the place where I started feeling pain. My answer: 5k.
So if I was entered in the Gold Coast 5k race, no problem! Unfortunately, the countdown is on! 6 weeks left to sort out that knee problem and still have enough fitness to enter the race. My question is no longer will I get a PB.
The big question is: will I be able to race???

No comments:

Post a Comment