Sunday, September 9, 2012

Homage to Robert W. Service

There are strange things done on a trail run,
By the people who explore.
Mt Coot-tha's trails have their secret tales
That will leave you wanting more.
The pre-dawn light has seen some sights
But the some-est it ever did see.
Was this morning on Owl - on "Powerful Owl"
When we went running - three others and me.

Now keep in mind, yesterday so fine, I had run out 32k.
Why I left my home and the warmth to roam round the Mountain, I cannot say.
But the alarm clock rang and from bed I "sprang" then hobbled to the door.
Though deep down I balled, the trails they called, and for some reason I wanted more.

We met at the park just after dark at a time you can feel dawn's soul
And we wore a smile you could see a mile - to run now was our goal
We started on at the crack of dawn and I swore I would not cave.
Though my hamstrings tensed and through them I sensed that to run I must be brave.

And as we climbed I fell behind - I could go no speed but slow.
I struggled with it and I stumbled a bit but I did not stop, oh no.
And at the top, two others dropped and decided to circle back to home.
And for us two, we thought it through as a debate began to warm.

It was clear to all, I had given my all and my body was fatigued.
But on the trails I was railed and also a little intrigued.
This marked the last of intense trails passed: the next one is my race.
And though tired my body was wired - would I be able to keep a pace?

The decision was made so goodbye we bade to the other two smart ones
We then descended and I pretended that we were almost done.
This part was fun and we chatted some on this beautiful day.
But the truth seemed bleak when we reached Gap Creek - we were now only halfway.

Then around we turned and up we spurned much sooner than I hoped.
For I was tired - no longer wired - and did not know how to cope.
We hit stairs steep and I wanted to weep as my muscles trembled and shook.
Each step burned and my insides churned...running's easier in a book.

I was gasping for breath and I felt like death, from this mountain I wanted to flee.
My mind said go and my legs said no and neither could agree.
But on we went, though my legs were spent, and the Gu was getting low.
Just as things got bleak, I then reached the peak and felt myself start to glow.

We started down with not a frown, though I struggled every step.
I wanted to howl ere we reached Powerful Owl for I feared a bad misstep.
I was sick with dread, but I bravely said, "I'll just take this one real slow.
Since I left my home and the warmth to roam round the mountain, my strength should grow."

Then we reached the road near my abode and I knew that we were done.
My car a beacon for legs so weakened...But still, it was lots of fun.
And now it's time for a word so fine I can shiver in delight.
In my ear comes a whisper dear: taper - how it sounds so right!


There are strange things done on a trail run,
By the people who explore.
Mt Coot-tha's trails have their secret tales
That will leave you wanting more.
The pre-dawn light has seen some sights
But the some-est it ever did see.
Was this morning on Owl - on "Powerful Owl"
When we went running - three others and me.

___
Disclaimer: Okay, so this may be a bit cheating off one of my favourite poems. Also, I have taken the liberty of using artistic license, so some parts may be a hyperbole!

No comments:

Post a Comment