Monday, November 18, 2013

B-Goal Begotten (Barely)

After Saturday's time trial fail I just couldn't resist...I had to give it one last try. To gear up for today's 5k time trial, I even took a rest day on Sunday. Every athlete needs a couple of those!
I woke up to rain last night and was not looking forward to running in the rain this morning, but fortunately Lady Luck was on my side and it wasn't raining at all...it was, in fact, nice and cool. Perhaps not race day conditions, but I wasn't going to complain.
From the start I was feeling a bit better than Saturday, but that feeling quickly faded by the 2nd km.
Once again,
A-Goal: sub-26min
B-Goal: sub-27min

Unlike a murder mystery novel, the title of my blog often gives away the ending. Yes, I squeaked in under my B-Goal.

Total distance: 5.0km
Total time: 26.45min
Avg pace: 5.21min/km

At the beginning I decided to vary my route slightly to put my last 300m up a very slight incline. By the time I hit said incline I was cursing my stupidity! I know the race will be a lot hillier, but today was about proving to myself that - despite the major set-back from my sprained ankle less than 8 weeks ago - I was fit enough to participate in the relay.
I'm too hard on myself to say I'm super proud of this time. But I'm satisfied. I set myself a pretty tough goal when I started back to running just 3 weeks ago - to drop my 5k time by an average of at least 20sec/km. For the mathematicians out there, I managed to drop 24sec/km.
With only a few days to go, I know I won't be as fit as I wanted to be for the relay. But I'll be as fit as I can be, which will have to be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment